Monday, December 14, 2009
6th Annual Menu For Hope
Today marks the beginning of the 6th edition of Menu for Hope, a fundraising campaign created by Pim and championed by food bloggers all around the world. The funds raised will benefit the United Nations' World Food Programme: it is the world’s largest food aid agency, working with more than a thousand other organizations in over seventy-five countries. In addition to providing food, the World Food Program helps hungry people become self-reliant so they can escape hunger for good.
This year, we are supporting a new initiative at the WFP called Purchase for Progress. This program enables smallholder and low-income farmers to supply food to WFP’s global operation. It helps them improve farming practices, and puts cash directly into their pockets in return for their crops. As a consequence, it also buoys local economy by creating jobs and income locally.
This fundraising campaign works as a virtual raffle. Tickets are US$10 and tax deductible. Every donation will buy you a raffle ticket to bid on one of the items contributed by participating bloggers; you can buy as many raffle tickets as you like, and increase your chance to win the items of your dreams. The campaign ends on December 25, and the results will be announced on January 18. We bloggers will arrange for our bid items to be sent to the winners, and all funds raised will go to the World Food Programme.
This year is my first year contributing to this cause. And I am offering for your consideration:
[UE 30] A gift set of four Homemade Algerian spice blends plus a tube of the famous North African hot condiment, Harissa. This item bid can be shipped only to the US.
The spice blends are:
1- Red Ras el Hanout (100g- 3.5OZ): a complexe of 20 spices that will complement any of your meat or chicken tagines, stews and soups.
2- yellow Ras el hanout (100g- 3.5OZ): a melange of 12 spices, perfect as a spice rub for chicken, lamb and beef or an addition to any of your roasted vegetables.
3- couscous spice blend (100g- 3.5OZ): adds a wonderful aroma to your couscous sauce.
4- Tagine spice blend (100g- 3.5OZ): Turmeric, ginger and cinnamon are among this blend of spices that will enhance any of your tagine.
Donate. Bid. Make a difference. Enjoy.
To Donate and Enter the Menu for Hope Raffle
Here's what you need to do:
1. Choose a bid item or bid items of your choice from the master list.
2. Go to the donation site at Firstgiving and make a donation.
3. Each $10 you donate will give you one raffle ticket toward a bid item of your choice. Please specify which item(s) you're bidding on in the 'Personal Message' section in the donation form when confirming your donation. You must write-in how many tickets per item, and please use the bid item code ( in my case it's UE30). For example, a donation of $50 can be 1 ticket for EU07, 2 tickets for EU08, 1 ticket for EU09, and 1 ticket for EU10. You should then please write 1xEU07, 2xEU08, 1xEU09, 1xEU10.
4. If your company matches your charity donation, please check the box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
5. Please check the box to allow us to see your email address so that we can contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.
Thank you for your generosity!
Posted by Warda at 5:10 PM