Friday, October 24, 2008

Ciao!

Say Cheese!


Thirteen hours, three planes, four airports and one sleepy toddler later, I was finally in Montpellier, France, hugging my sister and resting my head and my body on a real comfy bad, having a real exquisite meal.


I was exhausted, yet excited. I was drowsy, yet couldn’t sleep. I don’t remember how the first day went by, or how I managed to do it all. I don’t remember what I saw, or what I said the first day. I remember Marion, and her beautiful smile, at the airport of Paris. I remember digging my teeth into the most wonderful Pastry I’ve ever eaten. I remember her kindness, her sense of humor, my clumsiness. I remember my daughter dancing in the middle of the airport and playing hide and seek even after such a long trip. I remember my sister crying when she held her niece in her arms for the first time. I remember the gorgeous weather of Montpellier, how I loved having the sun on my face, how I loved the vineyards on the side of the roads and how everything seemed small, organic and earthy.


I remember when I held my niece in my arms for the first time and how I thought she looked a lot like my sister. I love her laughter. I remember Montpellier International Fair we visited that same day; and the following day and the day after. I remember taking Mo’s old Camera, which I’m deeply in love with, and taking many photos and memories with it; memories of my daughter with her cousins running and dancing in the middle of the fair, memories of fruity cheeses, cookies, lanterns, masks, sun dried tomatoes, foreign accents and black truffles.



I still don’t know how I managed to do it all that first day. But if I have to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing; except the airplane seats.


These photos are from the enchanting Italian Hall at Montpellier International Fair. Another destination, dear to my heart, will follow soon.
Until then, I send you some sunshine and a basket of love and laughter from Latte, a beautiful village near Montpellier where I enjoy my days with my family.



25 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wow, you certainly DID do a lot on that first day - fabulous!!

Love the photographs of the International Market!!

Avory said...

Small world! I studied French at an institute in Montpellier and it's one of my favourite cities in the world. I can't wait for my next visit. Waffles from the stand in the Polygonne, Sauramps bookshop, the fabulous yarn store, all the fabulous bakeries, the fabulous postcard stand, and the weather, oh, where's my plane ticket? I also love the surrounding area, especially the villages up in the Cevennes and the Mer de Roches.

Anonymous said...

comme c'est agréable de voir Montpellier dans tes yeux :)
Je suis heureuse de te savoir aussi sereine.
Un autre avion, d'autres retrouvailles et des larmes de joie à venir :)
D'autres pâtisseries t'attendront à ton prochain passage à Paris.
D'énormes bisous !
et oublie ta "clumsiness" qui n'en est pas ;)

Anonymous said...

hallo,
jolis photos..et super blog!!!

Jen said...

Oh... enjoy! You paint beautiful pictures with your words, as well as sharing the lovely photos!

Anonymous said...

You have painted the most wonderful pictures for me sweet Warda-Rose.......how I long to be there too, right now.....lovely photographs...those cheeses!!! Enjoy xxx

Allie said...

It sounds lovely! Have a wonderful time with your family for the rest of your visit!!

Claude-Olivier Marti said...

un billet plein de bonheur et de joie! et que de belles photos. merci de partager ceci avec nous! biz

Maureen Reynolds said...

Jet lag does make for a bit of a dreamlike state but your day WAS a dream...and family to cherish. Enjoy your visit!

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy for your return to see your family, how sweet it must feel! Lovely pictures by the way.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

oh my...I got all teary at the thought of your sister crying when she held your daughter. It all sounds so beautiful. And I know you will soak in every drop of happiness.

Warda said...

-Thank you all for your kindness. Seeing my sister and my family sure was a lot of happy moments. South of France is simply one of my favorite places to visit and it was hard for me to say goodbye. But now I am in Algeria, with my adorable parents and my brothes and my dauhter is sleeping in my bedroom where I grew up. What cn I ask for!
See you very soon.

Eileen said...

Sounds like an absolutely, wonderful trip!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Eek, Warda, we are missing you on your blog. Hope Algeria is delicious in every way!

Anonymous said...

je découvre ton blog via marion (il en faut peu……) j'aime beaucoup! je reviendrais, c'est sûr!

lianne said...

saalem warda good you are on this site off the water....and so close i am looking out off image's off your visit ...Montpellier well done i have make plan to seey Lyon soon to familie living inside the centrum off when you go back? i hope you have good time with not a lot off rain..but seen your familie is beter than all the sun.
Well speak to you soon en when you have the plan to goning somewhere in Holland let my now...i coming there to in sha allah you and your familie have the best time off life!!!!

lianne said...

sorry i read just youvgoing now to algerie?
i hope also there you have i great time in sha allah my familie in maroc living in Nador maby you now the city. bezeff greets again.

Saee Koranne-Khandekar said...

Your blog is a thing of sheer beauty--I have spent many a lonely night reading through your passionate stories of family and gawking at the lovely pictures. May you be blessed with the love of your family always. :)

Warda said...

- Not to worry, I'll be back to blogging very soon. I am enjoying my days catching up with family and friends and lazy mornings in my pj's ;)

- Maryam, I am having a blast! I am in a way never away from my blog, as I am always sourounded by delicious food.

- Auntin Jo, bienvenue, et merci pour ton gentil mot.

- Lianne, Of course I know Nadour. It was the first morrocan city I went to when I was five or six. Thank you for your hospitality and kindness. :) Whenever I am in Holland or Nadour I'll let you know.

- SKK, thank you very much! :)

Half Baked said...

Beautiful photos! I'm completely jealous. Have a great visit!!!

Sandra Le Petrin said...

on entend battre ton coeur d'émotions en te lisant, Warda. Les joies intenses fatiguent autant qu'elles donnent une énergie incroyable, c'est émouvant de nous les faire partager...

We Are Not Martha said...

Awww everything about that day sounds absolutely exquisite. Enjoy the visit and your niece and nephew :)

Sues

Zesty Cook said...

my first ever visit to your site... I love it!! I have subscribed and added to my favorites... great pictures.

zesty

Snooky doodle said...

wow. nice photos. enjoy it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, almost did a double take on your Montpellier visit-we just moved here from Seattle and have been trying to find the nooks and corners of the city....any suggestions about your fav places in the city? Thanks...